"Replicants are like any other machine.
They are either a benefit or a hazard.
If they are a benefit, it's not my problem."
Harrison Ford in
Dr. Mario Gleirscher
Postdoctoral Researcher in Robotic Software Engineering
Department of Computer Science
University of York
Tools & Materials
Contact & Directions
Deramore Lane, Heslington
York YO10 5GH, UK
T +44 (0)1904 325442
- Passionate about logic, algebra, philosophy, & writing
- International experience in SE research & teaching
- Worked full-time in aeronautics and software industry
- Experience in research & technology transfer
- Fan of outdoor sports, travelling, and healthy cooking
- Enjoy modern jazz (e.g. Jan Jelinek, Snarky Puppy) and (not too) modern art (e.g. Albin Egger-Lienz)
- Formerly skiing instructor, MTB & table tennis amateur
Experience, Achievements, & Education
Current research in collaboration with Prof. Radu Calinescu on
verified controller synthesis for collaborative robots, funded
Autonomy International Programme.
Developer of YAP,
a domain-specific analyser and synthesiser.
For my research on risk handling in autonomous
machines advised by Prof. Jim Woodcock and Prof. Ana Cavalcanti,
I was awarded a DFG Research Fellowship at the University of York ('17-'19).
Our study of static
analysis tools in practice got a best paper award at the 4th Software Quality Days 2012 in Vienna.
Previously, postdoctoral researcher in software and systems engineering at the
Technical University of Munich (TUM), advised by
Prof. em. Manfred Broy ('15-'17)
and PhD degrees from TUM.
Academic Leadership & Citizenship
Upcoming events I'm involved:
- Organiser of αFM@FM'21: Applicable Formal Methods
- PC member for SNR@QONFEST'21: Symbolic-Numeric Methods for Reasoning about CPS and IoT
- PC member for FMAS'21: Formal Methods for Autonomous Systems
- PC member for WAISE@SAFECOMP'21: Artificial Intelligence Safety Engineering
- PC member for SafeAI@AAAI'21: Artificial Intelligence Safety
Past events I helped to organise:
Past PC involvement:
(merged with CASA'17)
Reviewed for journals
and conferences (HSCC,
Other community services:
of career perspectives and working conditions for early-career researchers by co-chairing
the workshop series KAR4WIN@INFORMATIK'20 and
occasionally active on
Advising & Mentoring
Open projects: Drop me an email!
- PhD: Shared Control in Autonomous Driving, cand.: A. McDonagh, co-supervised with R. Calinescu, UoY
Co-advised 17 M.Sc., B.Sc., diploma theses, term papers, and internships in the safety-critical systems area and 5 diploma theses in the general software engineering area.
Teaching (currently paused)
Summer'17: Seminar on software quality, focus on formal methods / tutor
Winter'17: Seminar on safety assurance of control
systems, in English / organiser and tutor
Summer'16: Practical course on safety analysis techniques, in
English / organiser and tutor
Summer'13 & '14: Course on modelling concurrent
systems / tutor
Winter'12: Seminar on safety-critical software development /
Winter'12: Course on foundations of program and system development / tutor
Summer'09--'12: Course on requirements engineering / tutor
last change: Nov 2020