"Replicants are like any other machine.
They are either a benefit or a hazard.
If they are a benefit, it's not my problem."
Harrison Ford in
Postdoctoral Researcher in Robotic Software Engineering
Department of Computer Science
University of York
Tools & Materials
Contact & Directions
Dr. Mario Gleirscher
Deramore Lane, Heslington
York YO10 5GH, UK
T +44 (0)1904 325442
- Passionate about logic, algebra, philosophy, & writing
- International experience in SE research & teaching
- Worked full-time in aeronautics and software industry
- Experience in research & technology transfer
- Fan of outdoor sports, travelling, and healthy cooking
- Enjoy modern jazz (e.g. Jan Jelinek, Snarky Puppy) and (not too) modern art (e.g. Albin Egger-Lienz)
- Formerly skiing instructor, MTB & table tennis amateur
Experience, Achievements, & Education
I have worked with Radu Calinescu on
verified controller synthesis for collaborative robots, funded
Autonomy International Programme.
I am the developer of YAP,
a domain-specific design analyser and controller synthesiser.
For my research on risk handling in autonomous
machines, advised by Jim Woodcock and Ana Cavalcanti,
I was awarded a DFG Research Fellowship at the University of York ('17-'19).
Our study of static
analysis tools in practice got a best paper award at the 4th Software Quality Days 2012 in Vienna.
Previously, I was postdoctoral researcher in software and systems engineering at the
Technical University of Munich (TUM), advised by
Manfred Broy ('15-'17)
and PhD degrees from TUM.
Academic Leadership & Citizenship
Upcoming events I'm involved:
- Organiser of αFM@FM'21: Applicable Formal Methods
- PC member for SNR@QONFEST'21: Symbolic-Numeric Methods for Reasoning about CPS and IoT
- PC member for FMAS'21: Formal Methods for Autonomous Systems
- PC member for WAISE@SAFECOMP'21: Artificial Intelligence Safety Engineering
- PC member for SafeAI@AAAI'21: Artificial Intelligence Safety
Past events I helped to organise:
Past PC involvement:
(merged with CASA'17)
Reviewed for journals
and conferences (HSCC,
Other community services:
of career perspectives and working conditions for early-career researchers by co-chairing
the workshop series
occasionally active on
Advising & Mentoring
Open projects: Drop me an email!
- PhD: Shared Control in Autonomous Driving, cand.: A. McDonagh, co-supervised with R. Calinescu, UoY
Co-advised 17 M.Sc., B.Sc., diploma theses, term papers, and internships in the safety-critical systems area and 5 diploma theses in the general software engineering area.
Teaching (currently paused)
Summer'17: Seminar on software quality, focus on formal methods / tutor
Winter'17: Seminar on safety assurance of control
systems, in English / organiser and tutor
Summer'16: Practical course on safety analysis techniques, in
English / organiser and tutor
Summer'13 & '14: Course on modelling concurrent
systems / tutor
Winter'12: Seminar on safety-critical software development /
Winter'12: Course on foundations of program and system development / tutor
Summer'09--'12: Course on requirements engineering / tutor
last change: Nov 2020